Study with us
Study with us
Are you interested in furthering your career in engineering? Are you dedicated? Intelligent? Inquisitive?
If so, we want you.
The Institute for Intelligent Systems Research and Innovation (IISRI) is led by a diverse group of global experts in autonomous systems, simulation, modelling, robotics and haptics. Our research team are engineering intelligent systems to solve some of the world’s most complex problems in industries including advanced manufacturing, aerospace, defence, health and transport.
We have a cohort of more than 50 higher degree by research (HDR) candidates working within IISRI’s facilities on Deakin’s Waurn Ponds campus. Here they have access to some of Australia’s most advanced technology including our Genesis Simulator, our CYCLONE high-G centrifuge, Mobile Simulator and Infinity Simulator.
By completing a HDR with IISRI you will have access to:
- One of the top 1% of universities worldwide
- An international research network (spanning 50+ countries) that is rated in the top 20 nationally (QS 2023)
- Victoria’s #1 university for learning resources
- Higher degrees by research (HDRs) fee-free for domestic candidates
- A wide range of government- and university-funded scholarships
- A wide range of lab spaces – such as IISRI’s Medical Robotics lab, Electronics lab, Technology Readiness Level lab, Trusted Autonomy lab, Human Performance lab, Haptics lab and Virtual Reality lab.
In addition, you will get hands-on experience working with industry and government, which will place you in good stead for your future career in intelligent systems. IISRI’s long list of partners include the Alstom, Boeing, the Australian Defence Force, Downer Group, Ford Motor Company and Hanwha.
We are on the lookout for high-calibre PhD candidates, post-doctoral researchers and stand-out PhD projects.
Higher degree by research (PhD) opportunities
IISRI will support high performing graduates in furthering their research careers in various areas of intelligent systems research. We seek high-quality PhD candidates in the areas of:
- autonomous systems
- AI and Machine learning
- control systems
- modelling and simulation
- decision making
- human performance analysis
- signal processing
- brain computer interface
To apply, email your research proposal together with your CV and a copy of their academic transcripts for consideration to IISRI HDR recruitment.
Research – Development – Commercial Ready
IISRI has a proven track record of achieving outstanding results in its three key pillars of Research, Development, and Commercial Ready. We work closely with companies, government and community to deliver products and services that are agile, adaptive and applicable in dynamic, real-world environments. Contact us to learn more.